Friday, September 3, 2010

Zucchini Lasagna with Roasted Tomato Garlic Sauce



I had an overabundance of zucchinis and tomatoes on my counter that I have gotten from family members and friends, and I wanted to do something tasty with them.  A dish my Mom used to make when I was young came to mind, a layered dish of zucchini and parmesan cheese in pasta sauce.  It was so good and comforting when I was young...I never questioned the amount of vegetables I was eating even though I wasn't a big vegetable fan when I was 5.  So, I guess I was a bit inspired by that dish when I came up with this dish...but it ended up being more "Amy style", because there was no jarred pasta sauce.  I roasted the tomatoes with some garlic, and threw in a bit of basil and balsamic vinegar, and I cut my zucchini like lasagna noodles and roasted it before assembling the casserole.  I also added a bit of breadcrumbs and mozzarella to make this dish more substantial for in between the zucchini layers.  This wouldn't be the type for the peak of summer when it is hot, but it was perfect for a late summer early September dinner!  Filling, homey, comforting and delicious!  Like lasagna, but lighter...this is why I call it lasagna even though technically it isn't because it has no noodles.  I didn't miss the noodles though... the roasted vegetables were packed with flavor, and the cheese gave the dish a nice savory salty flavor.  It was wonderful, and perfect with a nice glass of red wine!  Try this out while you have garden fresh zucchini and tomatoes, it is easy to make!


Zucchini Lasagna with Roasted Tomato Garlic Sauce
Serves 2

Sauce:
2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup fresh basil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
a few pinches of red pepper flakes
1 tsp sea salt or to taste
freshly ground pepper

3 medium zucchini, cut 1/4 inch thick lengthwise (like lasagna noodles)

1 cup toasted bread crumbs
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
3/4 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese, divided
parmigiano reggiano for serving

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with foil, and spray with non-stick spray.  Place the tomatoes and garlic on 1 pan, and lay out the zucchini on the other pan.  drizzle both with a little olive oil.  Roast  the tomatoes for about 20-30 minutes, until starting to char, on the top rack of the oven, and roast the zucchini on the bottom rack, until just starting to get tender, about 20 minutes then remove from oven.  When veggies are done roasting, puree tomatoes and garlic with basil, balsamic, red pepper flakes, sea salt and pepper until smooth, and set aside.  Meanwhile, mix together breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup mozzarella, and 1/2 cup parmesan.  To assemble, take a 4x8 inch loaf pan and line it with foil, and spray with non-stick spray.  Spoon a little of the sauce into the bottom of the pan.  Top with 1/4 of the zucchini slices, and a third of the breadcrumb mixture, then spoon a little sauce over.  Top with 1/3 of the remaining zucchini slices, then 1/2 the remaining breadcrumbs then a little more sauce.  Top with half the remaining zucchini, then the rest of the breadcrumbs, then a little more sauce.  Top with the remaining zucchini, then the rest of the sauce, and the reserved cheese.  Cover with foil and place in the oven on a middle rack. bake 20 minutes, then uncover and bake until cheese is bubbling and lasagna is hot all the way through.   Remove from the oven and let sit about 10 minutes before serving.  Serve with additional parmesan. 

3 comments:

Stella said...

Sounds like your Mom was smart, Amy (smile). I would have eaten this too when I was 5...

Mother Rimmy said...

This is a must try! I love how fresh this lasagna looks. What a great way to use the abundance of zucchini we all have this time of year!

Anonymous said...

Perfection