Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blueberry Basil Quinoa Tabouli Salad


Today was one of those days where I felt like I needed a break from too much rich food.  Too many sweets and indulgence on Saturday was the problem, but luckilly I had lots of fresh produce in my fridge.  Nothing but fresh, cool vegetables or fruit was sounding good to me for dinner.  I had a large container of blueberries from Wisconsin that were some of the best I have tasted in years, plus a large pile of cucumbers from my Grandpa's garden so I decided that those two things needed to be included in whatever I decided to make.  For some reason quinoa tabouli came to mind.  It is a favorite of mine in the summer, classic, or a twist changing up the veggies and dressing.  Although I had some tomatoes from my Grandpa's garden as well, I decided swap them out for blueberries to be a little different and not make classic tabouli this time! 


I threw in basil and toasted almonds, and it was delicious!  It was a little like original tabouli in that it contained mint, cucumbers, lemon and garlic, but it was something a little different as well!  I had used a mixture of black and white quinoa because I enjoy both, but it made the salad a little more appealing to the eyes as well as the taste buds.  It was fresh, and like something you would enjoy at a spa, or a light dinner to leave you feeling healthy.  The berries provided welcome little tart sweet pops of flavor among the savory ingredients! So much for feeling yuck from over indulgence.  Here is the recipe if you would like to try it!


Blueberry Basil Quinoa Tabouli Salad

2 cups water
1 cup quinoa, rinsed (I used a mixture of black and white)
1 cup fresh organic blueberries
1 large cucumber peeled, seeded and diced small
2 scallions, sliced
1/2 cup fresh organic basil leaves, minced
1/4 cup fresh organic mint, minced
3/4 cup toasted almonds
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1 large garlic clove, minced
sea salt
freshly ground pepper

Place quinoa and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed about 15 minutes, or when all the grains have turned from white to transparent, and the spiral-like germ has separated. Drain, and let cool. When quinoa is cool, combine with the berries, cucumber, basil, scallions, and almonds. Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, and sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Toss dressing with salad, and chill.

6 comments:

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

This looks delicious! I love quinoa and I like the addition of the blueberries!

Marce said...

that sounds delicious! "una fiesta de sabores"

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Mmmmm...LOVE quinoa and you've worked your magic as always :)

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

What a great idea - using quinoa like that - and with blueberries! Very unique.

Roxana GreenGirl said...

love the blueberry addition. what a great idea Amy!

Peggy said...

This sounds so tasty! I love the idea of the beautiful blueberries as a replacement for the tomatoes =)