Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Chilled Raspberry Beet Soup with Mint


I am obsessed with beets!  I pretty much eat them in some form almost every day.  So today when I felt like making a chilled soup, but wanted something a little out of the ordinary...the beets in my fridge came to mind.  I always cook off about 12 of them at the beginning of the week, so I have them on hand when I want them.  But I wanted this soup to be a bit different than borscht, so I decided to make a raspberry beet soup.  I decided that a bit of red wine would be incorporated into my soup, since I had a bit leftover, and I thought it would compliment the berries.  I added plenty of citrus as well as some wine and mint...and it turned out to be a very refreshing combination.  It was a beautiful deep red soup! It reminded me of a sangria in a soup form...but of course more substantial and soup like!  If you are in need of refreshment you should whip up a batch!  This soup is wonderful served as a first course as a light starter!

Chilled Raspberry Beet Soup with Mint
Serves 2

1 cup cooked beets, diced

24 oz fresh organic raspberries
3/4 cup fresh orange juice (about 2 large oranges)
2 Tbsp orange zest
juice of one lemon
2 Tbsp honey
1/4 cup fresh mint, packed
3/4 cup red wine (good red wine, choose your favorite!)
1/4 cup POM juice, or other pomagranate (plus more as needed)
sea salt to taste

freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.  Add more POM if a thinner consistency is desired.  Chill well and serve!




6 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

Raspberries and beets....hmmmm not besides being delicious, that has to be soooo good for you too!
great job with this soup and perfect for the summer season!

penny aka jeroxie said...

I am not sure if I will try this though. I love both separately but not sure I will like it together.

FrenchPressMemos said...

What a unique yet attractive combo! love it.

s said...

This is a really bizarre combo, but I can see where you're coming from. I have two beets and some frozen strawberries. I don't have any juice though. I'm going to come back to this.

CC Recipe said...

The color of this soup is fantastic!

Foodlover25 said...

Beautiful soup!