Friday, June 25, 2010

Sunrise Over India Granola


I love the flavors of the fruits and nuts that you would find in India...coconut, pistachios, dates, almonds...there is just something about these ingredients that I find simply heavenly!  The spices as well are very aromatic and pleasing to the senses...which is why I decided to make my granola with these ingredients this time around!  I know granola is not an Indian thing, but hey, who says I can't give it the flavors inspired by India!  So I gathered up pistachios, almonds, coconut, and dates and got started on my granola!  I added some honey for sweetness, coconut oil so it would get nice and crisp, and cinnamon nutmeg and cardamom to make it aromatic!  While it was baking it filled the house with a wonderful aroma...and it was a shame to have to wait to sample it!  But when it was cool enough to sample, it was delicious!  I decided it needed to be called Sunrise Over India Granola...because it is something that is often enjoyed in the morning!  If you start your morning out with this you will have a sunny attitude by the time you are done devouring it!  But I wouldn't avoid eating it in the afternoon for your snack, because it would be a good cure for the mid-afternoon tired grumpies...try it out and you will see what I mean! 

Sunrise over India Granola
Makes about 14+ cups of delicious granola

6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups pistachios
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
2 cups large flake coconut
3/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp maple sugar
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp numeg
1 1/2 tsp cardamom
1 tsp almond extract
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
3 cups pitted halved dates

Line a large baking sheet with non-stick foil, and spray with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 and set rack at the medium position. In a large bowl, combine oats, pistachios, almonds, and coconut, and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together oil, honey, maple sugar, sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, almond and vanilla extracts until well combined, then pour over oat mixture and toss to coat until completely blended. Pour out onto prepared baking sheet, and spread out evenly. Bake for 35 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes or so until the granola is evenly browned. Remove from oven and let cool. Stir in dates, and enjoy!

8 comments:

zerrin said...

I completely agree, this sounds heavenly! I do love all the ingredients here, but never combined them in this way. I will make it soon and it will be my first granola, thanks for the recipe.

penny aka jeroxie said...

What a nice idea. Just going to make granola bars tomorrow. But try this recipe for next time.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

now that sounds like a great granola!! I love everything you put into it!

CC Recipe said...

Love the ingredients in this granola, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This looks great. I love the combinations you made -- especially including the cardamom! Yum!

Lauren said...

yum...tasty! I love granola. I like what you put in this one. It's different and not the same 'ol boring stuff.

Stella said...

I love those flavors too, Amy. So special-they make me feel good when I eat them. I'm making granola in the morning for my Cauldron Boy, so I will try to include any of these flavors that I have on hand...

Epicurean Vegan said...

What a great granola! It has so many of my favorite ingredients--I'll have to try this one. Thanks!