Thursday, April 22, 2010

...and throw in a beet for good measure...

I make some sort of hummus every week now, it is something that I have to have on hand so I can snack on it with veggies and use it as a spread for sandwiches.  So last week, I was checking the cupboard for which types of beans I had, and I came across some dried black turtle beans.  Perfect!  I thought I would combine them with some peanut butter and cilantro as well as some lime juice and make a different sort of hummus than the usual middle eastern inspired one.  I blended all the ingredients together and I decided that the murky black color of the hummus was rather ugly.  So I threw in a beet for good measure, and beautiful color, as well as added nutrients.   I have used beets before in hummus, and those are often my favorites(one of which I have posted on this blog, if you are interested)...as this turned out to be.  I know it sounds like a wierd combo to pair beets and black beans, but this stuff is addictive!  I especially love it with cucumbers!  So, if you are looking for something a little different in the line of hummus, here you go! 

Beet and Black Bean Hummus


3 cups cooked black beans (canned is fine)
1 medium cooked beet, diced
juice of 3 limes
juice of one lemon
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (roasted, such as Maranatha brand)
1/4 cup peanut oil
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 Tbsp sea salt
1/4 tsp dried chipotle pepper or cayenne (depending on how spicy you like it)
6 garlic cloves

In a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until smooth. Serve with chips or veggies for dipping!

3 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

now that hummus is beautiful!!! what a great way to get beets in the mix as well

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

I'm sold on the colour alone but the ingredients tell me this will be delicious as well as good for you!

Stella said...

Wow-how creative, Amy! I love this idea...