Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pear and Avocado

Pear and avocado, sort of an unlikely combo...but it is these two ingredients that make up one of my favorite salads to make year round.  I love this salad in the winter, because it makes me think of summer, but I love it in the summer, because I am not feeling like eating hot food...but no matter the season, Asian Avocado Pear Salad is something I make often...so I decided to share the recipe that is currently only written down in my head.  Why is it so good, well the buttery avocadoes are combined with sweet pears, and a salty and yet a little sweet dressing so you get all your flavor cravings in one dish.  Along with the mirin and tamari in the dressing, some wasabi powder is added for a bit of a bite, and some toasted sesame oil for some depth of flavor.  Altogether, something delicious, healthy and easy to prepare!  Something you should definately try whatever the season!


Asian Avocado Pear Salad

serves 2-4
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp mirin
2 Tbsp tamari
1 tsp wasabi powder
3/4 tsp salt

2 small just ripe avocadoes, diced
2 ripe Anjou or bartlett pears, diced
1 bunch scallions, sliced
3 cups spinach, chopped
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl, pour dressing over, and toss to combine. Serve!

7 comments:

Holly Keegan said...

I love the looks of this recipe. So fresh! I am definitely going to give this a try!

Unknown said...

This recipe comes at a good time, 4 ripe avocados on my counter, no pears, I'll have to make a substitution???

Unknown said...

Oh, forgot to say your blog looks awesome!

Lazaro Cooks said...

I love this salad. Beautifully presented with the seeds. I have had avocado and pear before, however the amazing flavors you used...wow! The mirin, tamari, wasabi powder...awesome. Cheers!

Stella said...

Yum, this sounds really different and good actually. I like the avocado has that neutral buttery taste that can be sweet or savory...

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

I agree, your blog is visually stunning! And I really love this recipe. The dressing sounds so much like the kind of thing I might stir up in my kitchen, and avocados have long been a favourite. Anytime I see avocados, sesame and wasabi together, I'm completely sold!

Alexandra said...

Yumm, I just love the mix of fruit and veggies for salads and I love avocados.....I will definitely make this, thank you for the recipe