Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Carrot Hummus

Although I have always liked hummus, I have been on a real hummus eating kick lately, and have decided that it is something that I always want to keep stocked in my fridge.  I love using it as a dip for chips and veggies as well as a sandwich spread, since it has more redeeming health qualities than many of the alternatives.  It was only recently that I decided to experiment with my own hummus, since then I could adjust the seasonings to my tastes, and make different and interesting variations of it using different types of beans and vegetables.  A few weeks back, I used beets, and that gave the hummus a beautiful magenta hue...so I thought this time I would use carrots and make it a nice orange color!  The end product turned out great, and is definately something I will make again when I have a few extra carrots!  Although this is basically a classic hummus recipe (besides the fact that I used white beans instead of chickpeas, and threw in carrots), I decided to add an herb at the end, some fresh cilantro, to give it an even more fresh flavor.  Next time you are looking for something to dip your veggies or spread on your sandwich, try making this if you are feeling like something healthy but tasty as an alternative to mayo based dips and spreads.  You may never go back to dill dip again!

Carrot and White Bean Hummus
2 cups cooked white beans (canned is fine)
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
6 garlic cloves
juice of 3 lemons
1/2 cup tahini
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 Tbsp sea salt
1/4 tsp dried chipotle pepper or cayenne
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, packed
In a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until smooth. Serve with chips or veggies for dipping, or as a spread on a sandwich!

No comments: