Monday, February 28, 2011

Black Quinoa and Root Vegetable Stew with Tofu



I came across some black quinoa recently and decided to buy it thinking something interesting could be made with it!  My favorite way to use quinoa would have to be in a tabouli, but since I enjoy tabouli more in the warm months I decided to use the quinoa in a little different way than I normally would.  My friend Gabrielle, who cooks wonderful vegetarian dishes, and who I work with at the deli had told me about using quinoa in a soup she had recently made, and I loved the idea so I decided to borrow it!  I thought the black quinoa would be a nice change from the usual grains used in soups and stews. 


I was in craving Asian flavors so I decided to make my stew with a miso and mirin laced broth, and throw in some delicious roasted root vegetables.  I finished the stew off with some mustard greens and baked tofu I had made and although it wasn't the prettiest to look at it was amazing to eat!   I was sharing it with my Mom who was skeptical about how tasty it would be, her not being a fan of root vegetables, but she loved it!  It was one of those things where you taste it and go this is good.  Take another bite and go this is really good, and finally this is awesome!  The savory flavors of the broth combined with the nutty quinoa, chewy tofu and sweet root vegetables is a perfectly composed symphony of a stew!  It is warming and comforting, and dare I say it comfort food!  Without being unhealthy of course.  Here is the recipe if you would like to enjoy it for yourself! 


Black Quinoa and Root Vegetable Stew with Tofu
Serves 2

Tofu:
1 10 oz block firm tofu, cut into small triangles
1/4 cup vegan worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup tamari
1 tsp minced garlic

Quinoa:
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup black quinoa

Veggies:
1 1/2 cups sliced rutabagas
1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced on the diagonal
peanut oil

Stew:
1 Tbsp peanut oil
2 shallots, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/4 cup mirin
4 cups vegetable stock
2 Tbsp tamari
2 Tbsp white miso
a few large leaves mustard greens or kale
sea salt to taste

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Line 3 sheet pans with foil, and spray with non-stick spray.  Toss tofu with worchesetershire sauce, tamari, and garlic until well coated, then spread out on one of the sheet pans.  Place in the oven and bake until crispy and starting to brown at edges, about 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and set aside. 
Meanwhile, to prepare the quinoa, place quinoa and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed about 15 minutes, or when all the grains have turned from white to transparent, and the spiral-like germ has separated. Drain, and set aside. 
To prepare roasted veggies, toss rutabagas and carrots with peanut oil, then spread out on 2 remaining sheet pans.  Roast for 15-20 minutes until starting to brown at edges and tender.  Remove from oven and set aside. 
Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp peanut oil in a large stockpot.  Add shallots, and saute until softened, about 5 minutes, then add the garlic, thyme and rosemary and saute until fragrant about 1 minute more.  Add mirin, stock, and tamari, and bring to a simmer. Add root vegetables and cook for about 15 minutes to allow flavors to develop.  Add cooked quinoa, tofu, and mustard greens along with sea salt to to taste.  Cook until tofu and quinoa are heated through and mustard greens have wilted.  Serve hot!
 

11 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

I love quinoa but never used black quinoa before and this stew looks perfect!

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour said...

This looks absolutely fabulous!!! Your stew looks so warm and cozy. Quinoa is so versatile..... I just posted a quinoa, black bean and mango salad ....quinoa with a tropical twist. I look forward to trying your stew!

Celia said...

Mmm. I love quinoa. Have only tried the red and regular varieties, but this looks like an amazing way to use the black...

Sandra said...

It sounds so delicious and it does looks so tempting!!! Love it!!!

Kate @ Diethood.com said...

Maybe this recipe will make me like tofu...just maybe... because this stew sounds so goooood!

Kita said...

Im not a huge fan of tofu but this stew looks amazing!

Suchitra Vaidyaram said...

the stew looks gorgeous! bet it must have tasted swell- loved the flavors you have used!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy quinoa but I have never used the black quinoa...does it have a different flavor?

thecoffeebreak said...

Love quinoa, though never had black one. Stew looks amazing!

Claudia said...

I have yet to find black quinoa in MN which tells me I haven't looked hard enough. Love all the flavors in this stew and how it is seasonal and warm. I crave warmth. This dish delivers that and nourishes.

Anonymous said...

This looks and sounds healthy and delicious!