Monday, February 21, 2011

Fried Egg and Tempeh Bacon Sandwich with Avocado Chipotle Mayo


When I was about 10 during the summer I would go over to my Grandparent's house for the day.  When I arrived there in the morning, Grandma was usually cooking.  Much of the time I was greated with the aroma of smokey bacon which being fried on the stove for breakfast.  Then came the eggs, which were later made into a denver sandwhich with the bacon and some onions on toasted bread.  I loved the sandwich...the crunchy salty bacon, smooth eggs and savory onions.  Grandma was always such a good cook, and I always enjoyed watching her while she prepared meals.  I have since become a vegetarian, so no more pork bacon for me. I do however still crave the flavor once in a while, so I am glad there are options such as tempeh bacon!  Tonight I decided that an egg and bacon sandwich sounded delicious, so I got to work making one.  Not that it was much work, it was a quick meal to throw together! 


I could have simply scrambled my eggs, but I decided to fry them instead.  There is something I enjoy about seeing that sunny yellow yolk staring up at me that I enjoy.  Plus I like the way  the silky yolk runs when you cut into it and soaks into the toast!  I had an avocado sitting on my counter, so I decided to make an avocado chipotle "mayo" to spread on my sandwich as well!  I also added some greens for color, and sauteed onions to make the sandwich even more delicious!  It was wonderful with all of the different flavors and textures!  The smooth avocado mayo, the crispy salty tempeh bacon, the silky eggs, and the crunchy toast!  It was the flavors of that denver sandwich my Grandma made, but with my own twist on it!  Here is the recipe if you would like something quick, but delicious for dinner, or even brunch:

Fried Egg and Tempeh Bacon Sandwich with Avocado Chipotle Mayo
Serves 1

Mayo:
1 small avocado
1 clove garlic
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp agave nectar
1/8 tsp ground chipotle powder

Sandwich:
3 strips tempeh bacon
1 small shallot, sliced
2 organic eggs
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 pieces toasted whole wheat bread
a small handful salad greens

Buzz all mayo ingredients together in a food processor and set aside.  Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a small non-stick skillet, and cook tempeh bacon until browned, about 3 minutes on each side.  Remove bacon from the pan, and add shallot.  Saute until very soft, and almost caramelized, then remove from pan.  Add a little more olive oil to the pan and crack one of the eggs into it.  Cover and cook for a couple minutes until the yolk is set (or at desired doneness.  If you prefer over easy, flip it and cook the other side).  Remove from pan and keep warm.  Repeat with other egg.  Sprinkle eggs with sea salt and pepper.  To assemble sandwich, spread one piece of toast with avocado mayo.  Top with greens, tempeh bacon, eggs, then onions.  Place other piece of bread on top and enjoy!

7 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

What a healthy version of something that looks so good!! Especially with the chipotle.

Unknown said...

Hi, I just found your blog and love your recipes. It's so so hard to read though! The background is beautiful, but it makes it really hard to read the text.

Quay Po Cooks said...

A good looking, healthy and delicious meal!

Sandra said...

You know that I love this..Oh my goodness, this looks so delicious..it is 8pm here and I should not eat this now..but but will totally make it in the morning!:)))

ping said...

I love tempeh! and that looks super good! What a great combination and healthier too!

Jill | Dulce Dough said...

Looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Love your recipes! They're really hard to read, though, against the background - any plans to change the background (it's really lovely on its own! Just hard to read against it.)