Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mangoes...

I love mangoes! They make me think of summer, even when it is still chilly outside. So last weekend when I was at the store, and I saw some perfectly ripe mangoes I had to pounce on them! I thought they would be great in a salad, possibly pureed into the dressing. I have a recipe for dressing using mangoes that I have adapted from one in the book "Passionate Vegetarian" by Crecent Dragonwagon. She calls it "Rainforest Vinaigrette" and that is exactly what it reminds you of when you taste it! Her recipe is delicious as is, but I decided to make it using ingredients that I happened to have on hand, and the recipe below is what I came up with. I think her idea of using pureed mangoes in a dressing and adding diced bananas is genious as well as delicious! This is a great recipe if you need a bit of summer before the 90 degree days hit in a few months!


Tropical Rainforest Salad
serves 2

1/2 large mango
8 roasted cashews
1 1/2 Tbsp honey
juice of 1 large lime
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 tsp peanut oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 banana, diced small
1 large head butter or bibb lettuce, washed or 1 large container spring mix lettuce
1/2 large mango, diced
1 cup diced pineapple
8 kumquats, sliced, or one orange, sectioned
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1 medium cooked beet, sliced
1/4 cup roasted salted cashews

Combine all dressing ingredients but the banana in a food processor and process until very smooth, pour into a bowl, and stir in the banana. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, mango, pineapple, kumquats, beets, and shallot. Toss with the dressing, and distribute beween two serving plates. Sprinkle with cashews and serve!

No comments: