Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mustard

I have always loved mustard.  In my opinion it is a hundred times better than ketchup, no ketchup on my hotdogs (actually soydogs, since I don't eat pork or beef).  I enjoy mustard so much that if I find a good pale ale honey mustard, or a spicy coarse grain mustard, I could just eat a spoonful of it plain. I have been making my own for a while, usually just coarse grained honey mustard, but I decided to change it up a bit this time and make a balsamic maple garlic mustard instead.  It may not be the usual suspect when it comes to how mustard looks, since it is brown and not yellow, but it is definately delicious!  It is sweet yet tangy with a wonderful garlic flavor, making it perfect for salad dressings, or on a sandwich.  Here is the recipe if you want a mustard you can't find in a store and have a little time to make it!

Balsamic Maple Garlic Coarse Grainy Mustard

3/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
6 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp water
4 large garlic cloves
1 tsp dried thyme
2 Tbsp sea salt

In a large bowl, combine mustard seeds, and vinegars.  Cover with plastic and let sit overnight.  Place in a blender, along with the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth, but still has grains to it.  Add the mustard back to the saucepan, and cook for about 10 minutes over low heat, stirring often, until the garlic flavor has mellowed, and the mustard has thickened slightly.  Pour into jars, and allow to cool.  Keeps in the fridge for at least 6 months.  Makes about 3 cups.

No comments: