Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pink Hummus?

Spring is now here...and so I am in favor of all things brightly colored, especially beets! I like to use them as a natural food coloring in cakes...but they bring a beautiful pin color to anything you blend them into! I had recently seen a recipe for beetroot hummus, I don't remember where, but it inspired me to try and create my own since I had some cooked beets leftover from last night's dinner.  I always try and use what I have on hand if I can, so I had some dried white beans in my cupboard, and I decided that they could replace the usual chickpeas in my hummus.  I threw in that beet for some beautiful pink color, and voila!  This is a fairly traditional hummus recipe besides the beets and beans (but with my own proportions of course).  If you are a hummus lover, then try this one!  Especially if you are in need of some spring color!

Spring Beet and White Bean Hummus
2 cups cooked white beans (canned is fine)
1 medium beet, cooked
juice of 3 lemons
1/2 cup tahini
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 Tbsp sea salt
1/8-1/4 tsp dried chipotle pepper (depending on how spicy you like it)
1 tsp ground cumin
6 garlic cloves

In a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until smooth. Serve with chips or veggies for dipping!

No comments: